12.12.2010

Wine-Stewed Prunes with Mascarpone


I first tried these a few years ago at Frankies 457, a Brooklyn restaurant I used to visit a lot. I finally made them myself last night. Just as I remembered, they're incredible. 

This recipe elevates the prune, a dried fruit I love -- that so often gets a bad rap -- to new levels. Completely no-fuss, it combines a pound of them with dry red wine, sugar and cinnamon sticks. After simmering for about an hour on the stove, the prunes start nestling together in a striking plum colored syrup that I wanted to lick from the spoon. Wine-soaked prunes would also make a lovely nail color, I have to say. Or maybe wine-soaked dried plums sounds better?

They couldn't be easier to whip up, either for a dinner party or a late-night dessert. For the wine, I used a Malbec which worked well. The original recipe said to use 1 1/4 cups sugar. That seemed like a lot, so I used 1 cup and still thought they were a bit too sweet. Next time, I'd use even less.

Rich with a deep, jammy flavor, they also feel kind of festive and would be a nice end to a holiday meal. They were perfect last night with a few spoonfuls of mascarpone. Later, I'll see how they taste cold on top of some plain yogurt.

Wine-Stewed Prunes with Mascarpone
Adapted from Frank Castronovo and Frank Falcinelli via The New York Times 
Serves 6
1 pound pitted prunes (about 40)
1 cup sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
2½ cups dry red wine
2  8-ounce containers mascarpone

1. Combine prunes, sugar, cinnamon and wine in a pot over medium-high heat. When mixture boils, reduce to simmer and cook 45 minutes, until liquid has turned to syrup.
2. Remove from heat, and rest at least 15 minutes. Spread a mound of mascarpone on each serving plate, top with 6 prunes and drizzle with syrup. Serve immediately.


Site Meter

5 comments:

nichole said...

Oh WOW!

Hi!

I was so excited to see a comment from you on my blog. Seriously made my night.

I have such fond memories of our time at About, and our chats with Olivia at Amy's Breads.

I see you have two boys as well. ;)

I would love to catch up some time.

Turi said...

To everyone reading this blog, this recipe is incredible!

Try it, you'll love it too.

The Little Piglet's Mom. xoxox

CR said...

This sheds a whole new light on what is sometimes referred to as mistake food.

Lia said...

Thanks, Mom :)

CR: Prunes are not mistake food. They're just misunderstood. Give this a try and you'll see.

Solange Belém said...

Olá!
Achei essa receita bem fácil de fazer. Gostei muito. Obrigada.

Solange

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...